Having trouble reading this email? Click here for the web version.
YEARS OF SERVICE
ROTARY CLUB OF
|Immediate PP||Lisa Carlisle|
|Public Image||Karen Schwank|
PAST DISTRICT GOVERNORS
FAMILY OF ROTARY
Our membership cares deeply about the needs and concerns of our members. We don’t want to miss an opportunity to reach out in friendship when such concerns arise. The chairperson of this committee is Lynn Dunn and all news should be directed to her at firstname.lastname@example.org
I thought about saying that I have no words to express how grateful I am to have served as the 2018-2019 President of Roswell Rotary and leave it at that... But, I do have some final words--hahaha! But, then, you knew that! I want to leave you with just a few thoughts about gratitude.
I truly believe that a grateful heart leads to success in life--at work, in our communities and in our personal relationships. Gratitude recognizes the gifts we have been given by God and the people God places in our lives. It is critical to our happiness to focus on those gifts and be thankful for them -- every day. Brene Brown shares this, "I don't have to chase extraordinary moments to find happiness--it's right in front of me if I am paying attention and practicing gratitude." Serving others with a grateful heart and counting our blessings every day does lead to happiness. There are lots of ways to show gratitude and we highlighted a lot of those ways this year--being an "everyday" leader, loving each other, communicating effectively and in a productive way, mentoring others, and, of course, recognizing the contributions of others (let's say with a Hammer Award!).
For me personally, I am grateful for John and Mitch Stone and the rest of my family for their support. I am grateful for my faith in Jesus and His hand on my life. Prayer works and I prayed a lot this year! I am grateful for the opportunity to have served with each of you this year, to witness first hand Roswell Rotary's impact on so many people in need and in so many ways and for our club to be recognized for all of your hard work. Thank you for your generosity in time, talent and money. I am grateful and so are many, many people in Roswell, Honduras, Puerto Rico and in places we will never know through the Rotary Foundation. I am grateful for all of the people who have lifted me up and for those who didn't. I learned from all of you. As your President, it has been my goal to inspire each of you to find your place to serve and be your best self. And, while I am happy (and I mean really happy) to hand over the reins to Gordon, like so many of our Past Presidents, I will continue to serve others through Rotary and build upon the amazing friendships that I have made while serving with all of you. You have been a blessing to me. It is with a grateful heart that I thank you for the honor and privilege of serving as your 2018-2019 President.
P.S. You will want to join us this Thursday for the last meeting of the 2018-2019 Rotary year. Malek Jandali will share his musical gifts with us and there will be AWARDS and a MONKEY! Don't miss it!
On Feb. 16, 2019 in honor of RI President Barry and Esther Rassin's visit to Roswell Rotary, we donated and packed 9 pallets and over 5000 pounds of supplies for seniors in Puerto Rico! Our friends at Fodac shipped them to Rosana Roig for distribution throughout Puerto Rico. Rosana coordinated with the following people to lead in the distribution of the supplies:
The highlights on the map shows where these supplies were distributed and improved seniors' lives.
Congratulations to Roswell Rotary, District 6900 and District 6900 Interact Clubs for serving those in need in such a big way! Well Done!
As you know, Tom passed on June 12. He was a Roswell Rotarian for over 32 years and a friend to all of us. He served on the club's Board of Directors. He loved serving our veterans through Honor Air. Most recently, Tom helped set up our meeting room and sell raffle tickets each week. His Roswell Rotary service was recognised in 1997 with the Elwyn L. Gaissert, Sr. Service Above Self Award. His life was a blessing to all who knew him. Our good friend, Tom, will be missed. Please continue to pray for his wife, Caroline, and his family during this time.
What a wonderful year it has been and it is truly amazing what Roswell Rotary has accomplished from January – June 2019. Talk about finishing strong! We
1. Hosted the Rotary International President Barry and Esther Rassin on Feb. 16 with over 300 attendees, including over 100 Interactors; Held a reception and raised $5000 for PolioPlus
2. Organized a Supply Collection for Puerto Rico collecting 9 pallets and over 5000 pounds of goods that were shipped to PR seniors in honor of Barry Rassin’s visit
3. Volunteered at the NFCC Warming Center
4. Hosted an Entrepreneur Workshop for 20 people and raised $8900 for Polio!
5. 12 members attended District Assembly, March 30, in Columbus, GA
6. 70 members and spouses attended District Conference, April 25 – 28, in Sandestin, FL and we were awarded:
* 2018-2019 Category IV Club of the Year
* District Governor's Citation
* Best Youth Service Project - Winner - Be THE Voice®
* Best Fundraiser Project - Winner - 40th Annual Aubrey Greenway Golf and 6th Annual Hagan Cup Tournaments
* Best Internal Service Project - Winner - Club Service
* Best District Conference Attendance - Winner
* Best Overall Service Project - Runner-Up - Honduras - Lunches for Learning and Clean Water
* Best Community Service Project - Winner - Warming Center
* Best International Service Project - Winner - Honduras - Lunches for Learning and Clean Water
* Best Theme Night Participation – Winner
* First Place in the Big Wheel Race – Carruth, Gould, Archer and Millard
* Regional Polio Service Award – PDG Bob Hagan
* Sheffield Leadership Award – Becky Stone
7. Laws of Life award winners selected and recognized at a meeting
8. 3 Tom Zachary Scholarship winners were selected and awarded in May
9. Power of One Scholarship winner was selected and awarded in March
10. Partnered with and volunteered at the Roswell Rotary Relays at RHS
11. Hired and trained a part-time communications person
12. Created video scrapbooks for the Rassin Visit and the Club's Year
13. Hosted 80 RHS Students for Leadership 2020
14. 30 members read to Roswell Kindergartners
15. Swept the Hooch
16. Conducted the 2nd Annual Blood Drive
17. Collected books for the East Roswell Library
18. Had FUN at 3 Alive in Roswell events and 5 Hump Days
19. Purchased new laptop for administration
20. Held 2 Past Presidents meetings
21. Awarded Eddie Smith with the Elwyn L. Gaissert, Sr. Service Above Self Award
22. Held a 68th Anniversary Meeting with Maurice Hilliard providing some recollections
23. Organized and led Roswell Remembers Memorial Day Celebration with over 4000 attendees
24. Participated in Roswell Means Business for North Fulton
25. Participated in North Fulton Rotary Council
26. Updated member birthdates in RI and the District websites
27. Sponsored a tent at Roswell Beer Festival to raise awareness about Roswell Rotary
28. Supported Interact Clubs where 10 will be receiving Zone Awards and 6 will be receiving RI Citations
29. Increased membership by 1 and inducted 7 new members under 40
30. Raised $48,000 for RI Foundation; 4 new Major Donors and 1 new Bequest Society member
31. Raised $15,000 for PolioPlus
34. Thomas Peace Award recipient was selected and awarded the scholarship
35. Updated the AV system
36. Sent 10 students to RYLA
37. Awarded over $200,000 to nearly 30 charities in Roswell and Honduras
38. Continued to raise awareness of our club through coverage in the local newspapers (Herald – 36/Neighbor – 17/AJC – 3/Patch - 1), 10 articles in the District Newsletter, RHS Football Program, and social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn) and 1 TV appearance
39. Organized and volunteered at EPMS Youth Motivation Day
40. Provided disaster relief funds during the government shutdown and for Rise Against Hunger
41. Honored Ron Hicks with donation to Lunches for Learning
42. Provided lunch at Foster Care Support during Prom-A-Palozza
43. Sponsored a resident at the Ms. Roswell Nursing Home Pageant
44. Mentored homeless students at Roswell High Schools through Stand-Up for Kids
45. Completed over 100 projects with over 9200 volunteer hours!
46. Honored many members with Hammer Awards
47. Sponsored a school in Honduras
48. Revisited our history with a Past President Scrapbook display
49. Highlighted our charity partners weekly in the Rotascope
50. Introduced new members weekly in the Rotascope
Roswell Rotary Rocks!
Join us as the presidential pin gets passed from Becky to Gordon as we ring in the new Rotary year. There couldn't be a better place then Gate City Brewery for Gordon to be inducted as president of our club as it is his second home! There will be plenty of beer and BBQ, but don't worry if you want wine or booze we will have that too. Jimmy Moore's band will make it a rockin event so please join us.
Please join us, each week, at 11:30 a.m. Thursday as we prepare for our biggest fundraiser of the year - the 41st Annual Aubrey Greenway Golf Tournament and the 7th Annual Hagan Cup Classic Tennis Tournament! The tournament will, once again, be held at the Country Club of Roswell on the Monday after Labor Day (September 9th). The proceeds of this tournament will benefit THIRTY (30) different charities within our community and abroad!
We need the help of EVERY member of our Roswell Rotary Club! Please join us this Thursday (and every Thursday until September!) at 11:30 a.m. as we plan for another fabulous tournament!
If you have any questions, please contact Adele Hamilton @ 678-642-7764 or email@example.com