Rotary 116th Birthday!
Rotary started with the vision of one man — Paul Harris. The Chicago attorney formed the Rotary Club of Chicago on 23 February 1905, so professionals with diverse backgrounds could exchange ideas and form meaningful, lifelong friendships.
Over time, Rotary’s reach and vision gradually extended to humanitarian service. For 116 years we have addressed the challenges in our community and around the world.
"Whatever Rotary may mean to us, to the world it will be known by the results it achieves."
This Week's Speaker
Dr. Jeremy Boyd is a primary care physician in Roswell. He has served with the Welllstar Medical Group for the last 3 years. He earned his undergraduate degree from the University of North Georgia, and his medical degree at St. Matthews University School of Medicine.
After finishing medical school, he completed his Family Medicine Residency at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center in Bronx, NY and followed this up with a year in Obstetrics at Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center also in the South Bronx.
Since Dr. Boyd's return to Georgia, he has been back on the front lines of our country’s rapidly evolving healthcare delivery system since 2017. He spent this last year as Medical Director in the development of Wellstar’s first ever Virtual Anticoagulation Center of Excellence.
Dr. Boyd is visiting us to describe the digital-health revolution’s ongoing transformation of our healthcare delivery system and how new technology is closing the gap for some of our most vulnerable individuals here in the U.S. He sees this opportunity of the future as a vision of virtual health one day expanding its reach around the world and into areas that need it most.
Thursdays, 11:45 - 1:15 PM | Holiday Inn
Meeting Protocol Virtual and In-Person
You can participate either way.
1) Join us at the Holiday Inn. We have expanded our space to all three ballrooms and have requested additional tables be added with fewer seats per table. The Holiday Inn is located behind the Olive Garden at 909 Holcomb Bridge Rd, Roswell, GA 30076.
2) Join us virtually at 12:15pm by computer, tablet or phone via CLICKING/TAPPING THIS LINK. If you are asked, the password is Roswell.
Mar 02 & Mar 22 11a-4p
When Roswell bleeds, Roswell leads. Blood donors needed for Tue
Human blood is needed in and around Roswell everyday -- including today. We don't need a tragedy like an ice storm, tornado or hurricane. It could be a family member, a friend, or you, that "life happens" and there you are, needing blood.
This week is our turn. This is Roswell Rotary's turn for "Sleeves up." And if it can't be you, because many of us can't give, then you can help by getting a friend, family member or fellow employee to donate during the "Pint for a Pint" blood drive for the American Red Cross. The life you save is not likely to be yours; and if ask any religious leader, such a generous offer of getting someone to donate blood for the benefit of someone you don't know is one of the highest degrees of giving charity, like most donations to Rotary Foundation.
Whoever donates blood will get these benefits:
- Pint for a Pint: Thanks to Pat Rains and Gate City Brewery, whoever gives a pint of blood gets a gift of a pint of beer -- to be enjoy anytime over the next 6 months!
- Our friends at Amazon are adding in a $5 Amazon.com Gift Card
- Red Cross will do a blood test and notify you if you test positive for the COVID-19 antibodies
- and of course, you'll feel better knowing you helped keep Roswell awesome!
For details and to "reserve your table", please go to www.redcrossblood.org/ and in the “Find a Blood Drive” box, enter “RoswellRotary” (no space between the words)
Fri, Feb 26 11a - 4p Sold out -- yeah Roswell!
Tue, Mar 02, 11a - 4p 8 spaces left
Mon, Mar 22, 11a - 4p 10 spaces left. For this date, in the “Find a Blood Drive” box, enter "AlpharettaRotary" The donation center will be the Alpharetta Community Center next to Wills Park. If you donate on this date, please notify Hal Schlenger at HSchlenger@GreatSouthBenefits.com so that Pres. Lynne gets credit in the Golden Pint competition against Alpharetta Rotary's Pres. Kile. ;-)
Two (2) volunteers are needed for Tue, Mar 02 collection date. Please contact Mary Trapp at email@example.com or John Reddick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday, March 2nd 10:00 AM Virtual read to Kindergartners
Read Across America
Can you find an extra 20 minutes to spare for kids?
The kindergarteners of West Roswell will be thrilled to have you as a guest reader for Read Across Roswell Day at 10:00 a.m. on March 2nd.
Just sign up to read for one of the classes below. Before March 2nd you will receive a calendar invite to a Microsoft Teams meeting. You will join that meeting to read. We will be reading Come With Me by Holly McGhee. It is a sweet story about a community during hard times. Copies are available at our weekly meetings or we can deliver if you attend online. After you read the book we will donate to the students.
Click here to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F49AAAD22A3FA7-read2 Reach out to Stacy Perlman at email@example.com with questions.
Have fun Reading Across Roswell!
Wednesday, March 10th 5:30 - 8:00
Hump Day at Houck's
Join your fellow Rotarians Wednesday, March 10th @ 5:30 for a bit of mid week fun.
Bring your significant other or a prospective member. Stop by for a drink or stay for dinner either way, we hope to see you there!
Saturday, March 20 | 8:30AM - 3:00PM
Volunteer For Roswell Relays
Volunteers are needed for the 2021 Roswell Relays. A full schedule of events will be held with ten schools participating.
Field events start at 9:00 AM and will finish midafternoon. We will need volunteers to cover both sessions. Prepackaged meals will be served.
Contact Bruce Smith @ 404-312-0577 or firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
This is a fun service project that we have sponsored for 24 years. See you there!
RUMC Job Networking
To teach job seekers how to begin and sustain a job search while providing emotional support and encouragement through mentoring, community prayer partners (all faiths and denominations), and support groups.
• Founded in 1989.
• Meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of every month and are attended by over 300 participants.
• Job Networking has over 360 volunteers, 70 of whom attend the Monday meetings. Many of the volunteers are Rotarians.
• The RUMC Yahoo E-mail group for employers, recruiters, volunteers, and job seekers hosts over 6,500 professionals who are active subscribers.
• The impact of this program has reached the attention of ABC World News, Fox 5 News, the Wall Street Journal, and the Atlanta Journal.
• Leaders have been invited to attend events hosted by the White House and the Community Partnerships for Faith Based Programs.
Find out more:
Rotary Last Week