Rotary Has a Heart for Seniors
It is February! Let us show our love for seniors by providing gift bags on Valentines Day.
We need lotion, lip balm, body wash, deodorant, puzzle books with extra large print, trivia and coloring books, non-skid socks, soft mints, and facial wet wipes. Please bring your donation to our weekly meetings Feb. 4th and 11th.
We will deliver 121 bags to seniors at Green Street Nursing Home on Sunday, Feb. 14th.
This Week's Speaker
Case Method Parenting
Would you like to learn a fun way to engage with your children or grandchildren, or students? As a result, the children will become confident decision-makers and thoughtful problem-solvers.
Anne Jones, a mother and a Harvard graduate (Harvard Business School ’97), will share how to simplify the proven Harvard Business School case method into a framework a child can understand. Anyone can tell a one-minute story with a question in the end! The children become confident decision-makers and thoughtful problem-solvers. Parents bond with their children while using a world-renowned method to prepare their children for life.
Native of Finland, Anne Ylipahkala Jones graduated summa cum laude in Systems Engineering from Georgia Tech while on a full track scholarship. She is also a Harvard Business School grad. Before “retiring” from over ten years in the corporate world, Anne held progressively senior positions in strategy, finance, and performance improvement with NYSE companies. Once she met Mark, her husband, Anne focused on revitalizing the family surgery business and being a wife and a mom. Anne, Mark, and Jupiter, their youngest son, reside in Atlanta, Georgia.
Thursdays, 11:45 - 1:15 PM | Holiday Inn
Meeting Protocol Virtual and In-Person
You can participate either way.
1) Join us at the Holiday Inn. We have expanded our space to all three ballrooms and have requested additional tables be added with fewer seats per table. The Holiday Inn is located behind the Olive Garden at 909 Holcomb Bridge Rd, Roswell, GA 30076.
2) Join us virtually at 12:15pm by computer, tablet or phone via CLICKING/TAPPING THIS LINK. If you are asked, the password is Roswell.
Sunday, February 14th 2:00 - 4:00 PM
Hearts for Honduras Virtual Wine Tasting
Join Hearts for Honduras annual fundraiser with all proceeds to benefit Lunches for Learning. This aids a poverty-stricken region and levels the playing field for all elementary-aged children to attend school.
The pandemic has created a difficult global environment for us all. On top of the pandemic, the region has suffered through two major hurricanes.
The event will be held February 14th from 2 to 4, with a new theme. A wine tasting hosted by Dan Pernice of Roswell's Osteria Mattone. There are both a virtual and a limited in-person VIP experience with a selection of wines, small bites, and an additional package for dessert and sparkling wine.
Tickets are on sale now until Feb 8th at www.h4hroswell.com .
Freezin' for a Reason
Join RPD in the Polar Plunge, Sat. Feb. 20th
The Roswell Police Department has asked that we join their team in the Special Olympics of Georgia Polar Plunge 2021 at Acworth Beach.
Allison Judy, Dave McCleary, Butch Neeley, John Reddick and David Wash have taken the challenge! Be certain to support them!
Click https://www.classy.org/team/336460 to sign up or donate or ask President Lynne.
Tuesday, March 2nd 10:00 AM Virtual read to Kindergartners
Read Across America
Can you find an extra 20 minutes to spare for kids?
The kindergarteners of West Roswell will be thrilled to have you as a guest reader for Read Across Roswell Day at 10:00 a.m. on March 2nd.
Just sign up to read for one of the classes below. Before March 2nd you will receive a calendar invite to a Microsoft Teams meeting. You will join that meeting to read. We will be reading Come With Me by Holly McGhee. It is a sweet story about community during hard times. Copies are available at our weekly meetings or we can deliver if you attend online. After you read the book we will donate to the students.
Click here to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F49AAAD22A3FA7-read2 Reach out to Stacy Perlman at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Have fun Reading Across Roswell!
Fri, Feb 26 & Tue, Mar 2 : 11am-4pm
Sleeves Up Roswell!
After Roswell Rotary, with help from Pat and Gate City Brewery, was so successful donating blood last Fall, the Alpharetta Rotary Club heard about this and has issued a challenge to Roswell Rotary.
Who can collect the most pints by the end of March? “The Golden Pint” pint is at stake.
Whether you donate to support fellow Rotarians Jon-Paul Croom, Lori Allen and Tina Houck at Wellstar, whether you, a family member, fellow Rotarian or friend needed blood at some time – you don’t have to think hard to find Rotarians who have needed blood --- or you're willing to swap a pint of blood for a pint of beer, we need your help getting people to our drives. Non-Rotarian are welcomed as their blood is consider good enough. ;-)
Seriously, there is a need for blood everyday. If you can give, please do.
If you can't, you can: If you CAN’T for any of the many reasons that 2 out of 3 people can’t give, then please get a friend or family member to donate in your honor. That’s your way of helping our community!
TO REGISTER: Roswell is hosting 2 dates at Gate City Brewery. For details and to "reserve your table", please go to www.redcrossblood.org/ and in the “Find a Blood Drive” box, enter “RoswellRotary”
ALSO: Volunteers are needed both days to help with sign-in and the commissary. Contact John Reddick if you're interested in volunteering for a few hours.
For more information, contact Hal Schlenger by email or call 770-335-0077
Roswell Historical Society
To collect, preserve, share, and promote the history of the city of Roswell and its environs.
• Established in 1971, RHS is Roswell’s oldest historic preservation organization.
• Over the last forty years RHS has collected considerable holdings of historically significant materials and artifacts which are recorded and preserved at the Research Library and Archives.
• The RHS Research Library and Archives houses collections of manuscripts, maps, books, audio/visual material, visual arts, photographs, newspapers, pamphlets, residence and family files, textiles, and artifacts related to Roswell and its environs.
• Since 2015, RHS has raised funds to purchase wreaths as part of the Wreaths Across America Program to be placed on 240 veterans' graves in four cemeteries: Lebanon Baptist, Pleasant Hill, Mount Oliver, and Old Roswell Cemetery.
• RHS is committed to preserving and restoring the historic cemeteries of Roswell. Efforts to date include:
- 131 monuments have been professionally restored
- Over 950 monuments have been properly and safely cleaned
- Over 74 organizations have volunteered their time, or donated funds or professional talents
• To share Roswell’s history, RHS is developing biographies and showcasing them during “Beyond My Stone,” an interactive tour featuring notable Roswell citizens buried at Old Roswell Cemetery.
• RHS is working to preserve the Hembree Farm, circa. 1835, which includes a portion of the original Hembree farmstead, one of the oldest in north Fulton County.
• The RHS Markers program has placed 34 historic markers around Roswell on properties that have been identified as having historic significance.
Find out more:
Rotary Last Week