Start with Rotary
November is the time when the entire Rotary world places an emphasis on the foundation. Last week DG Kirk summed it up when he asked “why” are we here.
Our giving allows us to do special local and international projects. This week we share the impact of the Wellstar Zero Suicide Initiative, a District Grant recipient, an update on global grants in Honduras and Panama, and some food for thought - why our giving should never stop.
This Week's Speaker
Cheryl Greenway, D6900 Foundation Chair
Cheryl Greenway is a Past President of our club, a Past District Governor and continues to serve District 6900 as the Foundation Chair. The Rotary International Foundation is consistently one of the highest rated organizations on Charity Navigators list and one of the best places to donate money if you want it to get to those in need.
As Club President, Cheryl led the club to the Best Club recognition as well as being individually awarded the District 6900 Sheffield Leadership Award. She is a Major Donor, Paul Harris Fellow Society Member, Bequest Society Member, a Will Watt Fellow and a Hue Thomas Fellow.
Cheryl feels blessed to be a second generation Rotarian. Her father was in the Roswell Rotary Club from the early 1960's until his death in 1991.
Thursdays, 11:45 - 1:15 PM | Holiday Inn
Meeting Protocol Virtual and In-Person
You can participate either way.
1) Join us at the Holiday Inn. We have expanded our space to include all three ballrooms. Tables are set according to CDC guidelines. The Holiday Inn is located behind the Olive Garden at 909 Holcomb Bridge Rd, Roswell, GA 30076.
2) Join us virtually at 12:15pm by computer, tablet or phone via CLICKING/TAPPING THIS LINK. THIS IS A NEW ZOOM LINK. If you are asked , the password, is Roswell.
Nov. 12th - Dec. 10th Bring Unwrapped Toys
Foster Care Collections
Foster Care has a special request for children ages 10 - teenagers. Toys and clothing for older kids is often overlooked.
Boys clothing size 3 through men's medium is needed. No socks or undies, please. Wal Mart gift cards are welcomed.
Let's show these young folks some extra love. Reach out to June Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or Nancy Alterman at email@example.com with questions.
Dec 4th & 12th RPD Gives for The Holidays
Gift Wrap and Delivery
The Roswell Police Department has requested our help in wrapping and delivery of holiday gifts to 300 local families.
They need our help with wrapping on Friday, Dec. 4th. from 6:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Bring a friend and stop by the Police Station to show our support.
Roswell Rotary will be helping with delivery on Saturday, Dec. 12th. We will be riding with an officer. Pres. Lynne will be assisting Santa as Ms. Claus. Volunteers are needed, especially anyone who would like to dress up. Elves, here is your chance!
See Pres. Lynne @ firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Tuesday, Dec. 8th/5:00-8:00
Honor Air Fundraiser at Sharp Shooters
Enjoy a night of fun and guns to benefit our WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans. Bring your own gun, safety gear and non steel core ammo or you may rent a gun for free and/or purchase safety gear and ammo from Sharp Shooters.
$25 per person with all proceeds going to support our Honor Air trip in spring 2021. Alicia will be glad to bill to your account.
From 4:30 to 6:00 PM Certified Fire Arms Instructor, Maddy Scholar has volunteered her time for a FREE shortened version of Handgun Fundamentals. Maddy is a Rotary Global Grant Scholarship recipient. While completing her masters, she is currently teaching Handgun Fundamentals, Home Defense, Concealed Carry, Emergency First Aid Fundamentals, and Women’s Self Defense. We are fortunate to receive her instructions. Classes are limited to 25 and are first come, first served. Let Alicia know ASAP if you would like to attend.
We will be serving a light dinner.
See you there!
Wed., Nov. 18th 5:30 HUMP DAY
Firepit & Brews/Osteria Mattone
Join your fellow Rotarians Wednesday, Nov. 18th @ 5:30 for a bit of mid-week fun, as we enjoy a warm fire, brews, appetizers and smores. Bring your significant other or a prospective member. Valet parking is available or you may park in Hagan's lot or at Michael Curling's place, New Kent Capital.
See you there!
New Member Profile
Ken Carter has been a Georgia resident for the past 20 years. He is a father to twin 15-year-old girls, Avary and Sarah, and recently married the love of his life, Doree, the week before the COVID shut down.
Ken is an entrepreneur at heart. He has been providing consulting services for the telecom industry for the last 10 years. Ken currently is the neighborhood partner for King of Pops, serving East Cobb and Roswell, and is a commercial real estate agent with the Piedmont Real Estate Group.
In his spare time, you can find him playing fetch with the family dog, Nyla. He is passionate about Roswell and looks forward to any opportunities to give back to the community.
Groveway Community Group
To provide assistance to the elderly and youth throughout the community, encourage the preservation of community values, promote good citizenship, and encourage participation in the affairs and issues of the community.
• Founded in 1943, Groveway Community group is the oldest non-profit organization in Roswell.
• As one of the founding members of the annual Roswell Roots Festival, Groveway continues its tradition of hosting a Black History Program during the festival.
• Groveway hosts an annual Senior Citizen Brunch that provides seniors with information on new trends, best practices, and excellent tips for living a better life.
• Groveway provides ongoing support for over 15 seniors in need with nutritional and hygiene products.
• At Thanksgiving, Groveway collected and distributed slightly used clothes to over 45 people in need.
• During the Christmas season, Groveway partnered with Pleasant Hill Baptist Church to collect and distribute slightly used clothes and to donate gift boxes of essentials to over 46 families in need.
• Groveway provides school supplies to over 40 children at its annual Community Day in the Park, and provides backpacks for special needs children.
• Groveway provides annual college scholarships for students who use their talents for community service.
Find out more:
Rotary Last Week